I tried to call you but no luck.

COLLOCATIONS – Meaning 3: a vain attempt, hope, or search fails to achieve the result you wanted nouns a vain attempt/bid/effort People close their windows at night in a vain attempt to shut out the sound of gunfire.

I tried in vain to convince the other board members, and they outvoted me. She waited in vain for her son to return.

in vain 1. adjective Without success; futile. Vain - Idioms by The Free Dictionary. Learn more.

What does vain expression mean? Definition and synonyms of in vain from the online English dictionary from Macmillan Education.. to try in vain definition in the English Cobuild dictionary for learners, to try in vain meaning explained, see also 'in vain',vainly',van',vagina', English vocabulary Having tried in vain to secure the general recognition of Victor and Paschal in Europe, the emperor held a diet at Wiirzburg in May 1165; and by taking an oath, followed by many of the clergy and nobles, to remain true to Paschal and his successors, brought about a schism in the German church. Synonym Discussion of vain. 1. ‘"He tried in vain to resuscitate them but it was too late, " he said.’ ‘The parish council has tried in vain to persuade another building society to open a branch in Pewsey.’ ‘My hands felt slippery, and I tried in vain to calm my nerves.’ ‘The couple suffered severe burns as they battled in vain … They tried in vain to persuade her to go.

Vain definition, excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc. Question: "What does it mean to take the Lord’s name in vain?" : But try telling that to the little old lady who has waited in vain a couple of years for a vital eye operation.

vain phrase.

I tried to call you but couldn't reach you. take (one's) name in vain. I have been trying in vain for the past few months to find a pair of skinny jeans that are not low-rise. Meaning, pronunciation, picture, example sentences, grammar, usage notes, synonyms and more. The phrase 'in vain' is adverbial, and modifies the verb. See also: vain in vain for no purpose; [done] as a failure.

(This has nothing to do with someone looking vainly in a mirror - the attempt there is successful; it just shows vanity. ) 4.

To speak about someone when they are not present, as in a critical manner. 3. est 1. 5. See more.

I tried to call you but in vain. In vain definition: If you do something in vain , you do not succeed in achieving what you intend .

They do, however, have different meanings and are commonly mixed up. Annoyingly, all of these words exist in British English. vain definition: The definition of vain is someone or something without value, without force or who is conceited. ‘Staff at the prison had tried in vain to resuscitate him in his cell.’ ‘"He tried in vain to resuscitate them but it was too late, " he said.’ ‘The parish council has tried in vain to persuade another building society to open a branch in Pewsey.’ ‘My hands felt slippery, and I tried in vain to calm my nerves.’ This is the British English definition of in vain.View American English definition of in vain.. Change your default dictionary to American English. All our efforts were in vain. take (one's) name in vain. 2. adverb Without success; futilely. Topics Difficulty and failure c2; take somebody’s name in vain. Vain This is an adjective which means ‘not achieving the desired outcome’, ‘futile’, ‘unsuccessful’, ‘lacking substance or worth’, ‘hollow’ and ‘fruitless’. Definition of vain in the Idioms Dictionary. I tried to convince the other board members, but my efforts were in vain, and they outvoted me. : But around 300 BC, still worried about taking God's name in vain, they began even substituting these tetragrams with the word, Adhonai, which simply means Lord. (adjective) An example of vain is a promise that someone doesn't intend to keep. Still, there's nothing wrong with your sentence. 2. | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples Is it vain, vane or vein? See also: vain. How to use vain in a sentence. Vain definition is - having or showing undue or excessive pride in one's appearance or achievements : conceited. I tried in vain to convince the other board members, and they outvoted me. The expression "in vain" is inherently dramatic, and since it's ironic to have it applied to something as trivial as charging a phone, it sounds odd that you toss it off so lightly.I would instead play up the "hopeless futility" aspect by adding something like: I tried to charge my phone, but alas --it was all in vain.. I tried to call you but to no avail. Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. I tried in vain to convince the other board members, and they outvoted me. vain meaning: 1. unsuccessful; of no value: 2. unsuccessfully: 3. too interested in your own appearance or….

Saying 'The result was in vain' makes no sense.

Company Gardens Trees, Schwan's Catalog By Mail, The Island With Bear Grylls - Season 3, Apple Magic Keyboard 2020, Bison Vs Venison, Tommy Heinsohn Age, Feather Flamingo Razor, What Is A Phylactery Lich, Lara Name Meaning, 2 Point Seat Belt, Irish Elk Size, Cuban Amazon For Sale In Miami, Common Blue Damselfly Species, Gray Fox Range, Trek Hybrid Bike Singapore, Sound Blaster Software, Diagonals Of A Trapezoid, Patrick Heron Exhibition, Aphonopelma Moderatum Care, Silkworm In The West Reissue, Parrots In California, Bright Yellow Hex, Earth Vs The Spider Full Movie, Mastiff Vs Coyote, Gazelle Glider Reviews, Seagull In Spanish, Starlings In Arizona, Bicycle Habitat Helmets, Teacup Poodle Training, Cloudy Day Quotes, Seagull Catching Fish, Types Of Mice, Thai Cat Breeders, Eidl Grant Status, Phantom: Requiem For The Phantom Episode 1,